Thursday, November 4, 2010

Pencil stuff




Getting back on track here, the first update to come next week will be Teresa. I want to get stuff out weekly. Yeah, there's some big cons to weekly releases like more tech support I'd have to do but oh well, it's better to keep a weekly commitment. Since my drawing tablet is broken, I'm just drawing stuff for now; I'll get to finished updates starting next week while I wait for a new one to ship to me.

BadgerMushroom (weird name) won the writing contest. You can see his writing here:
http://rosewoodgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2110

It's Frei and Gwen, but I've decided to change Gwen to Sanza, because Sanza was more popular. Sanza is practically the same character anyway, haha. The top 5 chars are all in the extras then (Teresa, Frei, Carmen, Taiyo, Svetlana, in no order). BM wrote a shitload of scenes when I said I'd either do a twosome or a threesome, but he decided to do a twosome, twosome, threesome (all with two scenes each, rounding it out to 6 scenes). I'm going to cut most of it out.

Summing things up
Here's what's going down for the next two months.
Teresa coming next week
Frei and Sanza
Carmen + Jeanne
Catherine (Valencia...scrapped)


AD2S will get voice acting support, but surveys indicate that people don't care for the voice acting as much as actual content, so that voice acting will have to wait. AD2S will be ported to different websites other than hentaicook.com, but it won't be coming to offline in the immediate future, as there's simply too many pirates waiting for it. On the survey, it turns out most of the people that said "I would pirate it if I could", also said "I would like an offline version" (sneaky sneaky). An offline version would be much easier to pirate, since all you'd have to do is upload the game to any site. So I had to make the decision, either give the few real customers their offline game and lose most of my sales due to piracy, or go back on my word and not give anybody the offline version.

AD2S was pretty much a one man show, and to stay in business I've had to make the tough decision to not offer an offline version. If the game was heavily pirated, I might not even keep up and be able to make a third game, so there you have it.

So after all that content is done, I'll be done with AD2S. I'll focus on my art studies for a bit and try to get the characters to look more different next time around: more skin color variation, different body types, and different face types. After that, Me and John Evans (from AD1) are going to team up and work on AD3, The Dark Planet. Here's what we can say about TDP for now:

- You play as the captain of a space station overrun by aliens.
- Defend! They attack during the night. Team up with girls and don't let the aliens through!
- Don't Die! Build your defenses, scavenge for supplies, and heal the wounded during the day.
- Date! The dating sim mechanics from AD2S return. Date 5 new characters with complete storylines.

24 comments:

  1. So...when can we start pre-ordering AD3?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. (scratches head) I dunno if you're serious but there's no official word on pricing since I haven't gone over it with John yet.

    I'd only charge 15 dollars if I felt that the content was absolutely worth the price, IMO I believe that AD2S was worth 10$, and most people tend to agree.

    I want to release the game next year, but working on a team and this being our biggest project yet, that might be a little unrealistic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there, great to see some updates again!
    And yeah, to combat piracy would be tough if you distribute a complete offline version for AD2. It's sad but it's something we will just have to live with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's your decision, and I feel we all respect it. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad your back and everything, but I do care for the voice acting. Any idea on when to expect it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. If there are no plans for an offline version of the game, are there some to try and optimize the size of the online version ? Honestly, half the times I feel like playing AD2, I just give up because of all the loading...
    No offline version makes sense to avoid piracy, but if things are similar with TDP, I doubt I'll buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There aren't any plans to optimize the size. I *believe* that hostgator is a very fast and reputable website host, but maybe I could host the game on a different server on the other side of the world.

    Also, no promises but I might just post up an offline version sometime next year.

    TDP will be similar, as the game will be larger, even if it's better optimized, it'll probably reach the same size as AD2S.

    ReplyDelete
  8. any eta of update?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting, is Valencia scrapped for good or on indefinite hold?

    ReplyDelete
  10. ETA Sunday.
    Valencia is scrapped for good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. RIP Valencia, we hardly knew ye.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So, since she's scrapped, mind filling us in on what you had in mind with her? Maybe some sketches as well?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Er...let's let him focus on the task at hand for now. But yeah, I'd like to know more too, eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  14. can't wait for it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You guys are gonna have to give me an extra day on this here...

    ReplyDelete
  16. No prob.

    I say you just take the Blizzard stance on release schedules. "It will be done when it's done."

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's one way to do it. Some companies make so much money, or are able to make so much that quality comes before time that they can forgo a release date.

    Other game companies usually have to commit to a release date because of investors; the game needs to be out for the christmas season, or done at all.

    For me, I'm kind of like the investor and the developer at the same time. The investor side of me says that I need to get one game out a year and milk you suckers every year. Milk the franchise and milk the fanboys. But the developer side of me wants to wait until when the game is completely ready. Coming out with yearly releases might be hell, but if I didn't do it that way the investor "me" would shut down my business.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Is there a new ETA on update? Maybe an extra day?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've got the caffeine, I'm still working on this... It's a pretty good update.

    -hc

    ReplyDelete
  20. Don't tire yourself out too much. :P

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's a good thing for me... Means things are getting back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  22. If you feel you need to announce release dates just add more time than you have been for unforeseen circumstances. If you finish beforehand great, release it early, or work on your next project. If the investor you keeps setting unrealistic goal the developer you will burn out.

    ReplyDelete
  23. the suspense is killing me :3

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just wanted to give a headsup and say that it's Teresa giving bj and titfuck, so if that's not your thing, wait next next week for some Frei/Sanza action.

    ReplyDelete