Thursday, March 12, 2015

3/12

Aching Dreams 3: The Dark Planet, delayed until tentative October release.

Ready for a trainwreck? Here it is. The main programmer left. Art and Story assets are mostly done. By last February, I expected him to pick up the slack on coding, and he's just not here, so I'm taking over his responsibilities. Where did he go? Well, I'm sure he'd love it if I wrote that he died, but he didn't, and it's probably a very bad idea to shame him on a professional level, so we'll just say "He's just not here", and we'll leave it at that. I'm replacing him.

When I made the announcement of a February release date, that announcement came with the self-assured assumption that the programmer would be finished with his half of the code (the hard stuff), and we'd merge it with my half (the easy stuff). But he's not here, so I'm going to finish the rest of it. It's going to take a lot more time than originally anticipated because I'm still figuring this out. I basically have to go level 2 Super Saiyan.

This blog has been quiet, and I've two reasons why: First, it's inherently difficult to show the progress, because the nature of code is itself not easy to show. If you take a gander at any other developer blog from a different game, you'll see concept art, game design decisions, and posts on the story or the lore. Given that this is now a one man show, concurrent development is impossible.

The second reason is embarrassment. I wasn't showing any code from the lead programmer because, well, he's not doing it, and I wasn't very particular on showing my side of things, because showing any of that shit would have given you the impression that we had no idea what the hell we were doing. I'm going to go ahead and ditch that embarrassment from here on out, because the product is late, and the customers deserve to know what's up. As a first gesture of transparency, I will go ahead and say that I now have some idea of what the hell I'm doing.

With that second reason gone, I'll be posting more often, so you can read what I'm up to, but I cannot assure that the posts will have much of anything interesting to say. Hell, just the other week, I spent all day and wound up writing a single line of code. Since it's safe to assume he's not helping, I can go back and finish up the remaining 5% of art/story because they're of equal priority as code is now.

We were mistaken. I apologize. If you can't accept that apology, then I suggest you stow your anger 'til October because I am still very much at work on this game. October is a guesstimate. Out of all the things I've worked on for this game, programming is definitely the hardest to give a concrete estimate on how long it'll take to finish. When I say "October", I'm saying that's when I'll understand wtf the Matrix is, and I'll apparently be able to see everybody as green lines of floating code....and then I'll finish the damn game by then.

Also, if you haven't seen it, I posted up some cancelled content from AD2 here. It's old, so it's kind of shitty now, but I assume you somehow managed to fap to my old art, so I posted it as is.

4p0- Woke.
5p1- Ate brekka. Told Ex-lead to put more comments in his code. (in programming, comments help programmers that didn't write the code understand what the original coder was intending)
6p2- Wrote the stuff above.
Difficulty 1/10 Efficiency 10/10
7p3- Packed up some story stuff for a friend to read and critique.
Difficulty 1/10 Efficiency 8/10
8p4- Posted up a programmer job query. Studied programming. I have to go back and read things that I skipped before.
Difficulty 4/10 Efficiency 8/10
9p5-Did some autohotkey scripting, to improve scripting speed ofc.
Difficulty 1/10 Efficiency 10/10

24 comments:

  1. Keep the faith Cook you got ppl behind you ready to support where you need it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, make it priority number 1 to find another programmer. It's worth the time and more. This shouldn't be a one-man lift and you shouldn't get used to doing everything yourself, on this project or future ones. The more ambitious you get -- and we hope your ambition knows no bound -- the more you'll need others to bring their talents to the table. Right now is as good a moment as any to figure that out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wouldn't mind having another programmer on staff. At the moment, I'm 50/50 on it. I'm the cheapest programmer I can afford, but I'm also not very good. If I were to get a programmer, he'd have to be inexpensive and good at what he does, so it's kind of wishful thinking. Still, I posted up a temp job query to see if anyone's up for it.

      Delete
    2. Offer equity man -- i.e. a share of the revenue. You need a business partner beyond just a technical helping hand.

      Delete
    3. Link to the job query?

      Delete
  3. Well that sucks. But that Catherine-animation was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. October? I don't think i can wait that much...dig up some oldies from the girl in AD2 with the anteater pelt ... or else...
    Consider urself threathened!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dude that chick is so hot I'd probably just cook some fresh ones up in my spare time.

      Delete
    2. Yea i wouldnt mind if you did :3

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the update. Any chance to ask your guy from AD1?

    ReplyDelete
  6. SERIOUSLY!? WHAT THE HELL!?

    I sincerely wish I could get a refund of this, I'm done with excuses. You spent MONTHS completely silent, just to find out more excuses to delay even further the release date.

    You're a YEAR AND TWO MONTHS late already. You want to get a living out of this? Start by acting like a professional.

    I won't enter this blog ever again, so rejoice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (sigh)... That's depressing. Sorry Duffman.

      Delete
    2. I anticipate you were afraid to be transparent due to people like him. But those people won't understand what it's like. It's good that you're transparent though, even if many of us don't understand programming. Chin up. For every bad comment like this, consider the number of good comments that others simply do not say. How many people silently pledge and hope and wait patiently for you to finish this dream? We're all dreaming together.

      Delete
  7. Wow did you pay the guy any money? Hope you find somebody soon it sucks people who paid for the game have to still wait. Next time pick your people wisely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, he's actually trying to lend me money. I really don't wish any ill of him.

      Delete
    2. How much would you need for another programmer? I don't mind lending

      Delete
  8. Cook what compiler are using for this game?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry that internal problems keep happening, but I'm at least glad for the transparency, and I'm sure it'll all work out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I spent a while waiting for updates on the Offbeatr page after donating some time ago; you should probably post this information on the campaign page, as I wouldn't have learned of any of this had I dropped in on this blog on a lark.

    I'm disappointed to hear in this, especially considering that a) this was the second time you made a campaign for this game, b) it took you so long to tell us, and c) I've contributed money for the development of this game. Harsh as it may sound, you've been quite unprofessional.

    As someone who is invested in this project, I ask that you stop taking so many things upon your own shoulders and learn a bit about delegating tasks. I hope you're able to find someone who can serve as a programmer and that you are able to get back up to speed soon; you sound especially stressed out over it all.

    Best of luck, man. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. These things happen unfortunately, shit happens, etc. People will be mad but such is life, personally I'm content to wait till October even longer. But I do agree with what other people have said, that you need to delegate stuff a little more. More people working on the project (reliable people :P) will definitely speed things up. - Steve from Wales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean to be honest, I've been waiting nearly three years now just to commission some more lesbian stuff from you. At this point I think I'd like to see this game completed just so I can see more hot girl on girl action pictures lol - Steve from Wales

      Delete
  12. This wouldn't be nearly as bad if you just kept us updated. You don't have to go into specific times and details, and slap dates on everything. Just once or twice a week say "I'm working on ____". Simple. Now everyone is happy.

    Still looking forward to the game, hope you find a new coder, just please don't disappear for weeks at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my thoughts. I don't want to use gavel but with nothing but a little bit transparency during the process lots of harsh criticisms could've been avoided. The majority of us backers can surely understand prolonging of the project deadline when the circumstances are explained, even though there is always a loud ignorant minority.

      In summary for smoother future development process:
      - Set more pessimistic deadlines
      - Be more transparent

      Delete