Monday, March 12, 2012

March 12th's Progress

Still working. One thing has been in the back of my head and I just have to write it.

I am considering a Hentai-less version of Aching Dreams 3. I guess it would be called Non-Adult Aching Dreams 3. Eugh. I am having a tough time naming it.

Why have a sexless AD3? Money. The simple fact is that Aching Dreams itself is becoming harder and harder to find on google. Newgrounds has obscured its adult section. A sexless AD3 would boost traffic because many flash portals do not allow adult games. If we want to continue to make games, we have to adapt. What we COULD do instead is release games more periodically, and basically make AD2 clones except in different themes, but I would rather make an epic game that's much better than 2. Simply put, the way AD3 is designed, it's a risky endeavor because it's larger, it'll be more expensive to buy ($15), and I get paid less since there's a programmer on board, but I'd rather have it this way because I want to work on a game that I like.

What would be the difference between sexless AD3 and sexfull AD3? Cut, not replace. Sex is somewhat integral to AD2's experience. Jeanne's last mission almost entirely involves sex, and different parts of missions allow you to choose to have sex. These parts would simply be cut out and replaced with a small summary.

"You enter the Black Bunny. You locate Selene and realize she is sleeping with her boss. You take her for questioning outside of the establishment."

That's all. We're not governed by the ESRB, so the censorship will be very lax. No nudity, and the actual sex scenes would be skipped. No stories would change because of the fact. Beatrice's story is completely devoid of hentai, in fact. It's just the way we create stories here, and it CAN BE compatible with a mainstream audience.

How would it work?
We'd have a sexless version given to mainstream sites, and a sex version available on the select sites that do show adult games. This sex version will also have a simple switch that allows you to turn on and off the sex when you're in "town". This toggle would be very simple to include.

The more I am considering this, the more it makes sense.

13 comments:

  1. It's not a bad idea, then it becomes more of a sim type dating game instead of an adult game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I support this. AD2 had some awesome story elements in it that I feel would go to waste of it was only available to every-other horny bugger out there.

    A Non-H AD3 opens that story up to others, and the general gameplay as well, since you'll have more than just story driven clicking(Although thats what more Visual Novels are, and they seem to sell, don't they?)

    Also, if its an easy thing to do, and has little detriment; Why the heck not? Having more options open to you is never a bad thing, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I was trying to figure out a way to make it work, and then I realized that half-assing it was the best way to not compromise the adult version.

    It's actually pretty simple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey HC, I hate to ask, but only because you're so close to the finish line: Any updates on the update? Can we expect it tonight?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't suppose its Thursday where you live?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can understand why you are considering this but will there be two versions of the game? An adult version and a PG version? I respect the time you put in on the story and I also enjoy the art and the plot, however, I don't think I would buy a game for $15 if there isn't the adult content. An adult game that offered as much content or more than AD2 would be worth $15. It's understandable you have to make a living so if going with PG games does that then great. It's a shame though if there isn't going to be an AD3 with adult content.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry after posting above comment I reread your post and saw that there would be an adult version and a switch to go between the two. I still probably wouldn't pay $15 for a game with no adult content. Looking forward to the update and good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Err, if you read it, I've basically said I'm making a PG version on the side of the X rated version. Content will be cut from the PG version, and no new content will be produced for the PG version. AD3 is remaining X-rated.

    The PG version of AD3 (more like R) cuts stuff out from the X rated version. This is done so that PG customers either A) Learn about the X Rated version and buy that, or B) Buy the PG rated version. It seems unlikely that anyone would buy it for B. I personally do not think AD2 was worth 10$ if you buy it without the hentai. AD3 however might be worth it considering that there is a combat system in the works. At this point there isn't much data we can use to figure out if people would buy this game for B... we'll find out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thats actually encouraging to know that the upcoming game could stand on its own without the sex.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't believe it can. It will be a good advertising tool to get people to buy the sex though.

    ReplyDelete